1. The Government of Burundi has learned with dismay the despicable assassination of Mr. Zedi Feruzi, Chairman of UPD-Zigamibanga Party and one of his body guards near his home located at Ngagara, in the City of Bujumbura in the evening of Saturday May 23, 2015.
2. The assassination came a day after another attack that occurred in the bus park nearby the former Central Market of Bujumbura, when criminals threw grenades on innocent citizens, claiming lives of several people and seriously wounding many others.
3. These acts of violence are perpetrated in full election campaign and when various speculations are maintained by different political partners and civil society, in connection with the election period.
4. The Government of Burundi expresses its indignation and strongly condemns this despicable act perpetrated against the above mentioned political leader and extends its deepest condolences to the members of the UPD Zigamibanga party, to Burundian political class as a whole and its heartfelt sympathy to the families of the deceased ones.
5. The Government calls on its political partners to refrain from any speculation linked with this tragedy and asks the Police and Justice to make every effort to ensure that the perpetrators of this heinous crime are promptly identified and severely punished.
6. The Government of Burundi urges political leaders especially those whose candidacy have been filed for the upcoming presidential elections as well as other senior political leaders who wish to liaise with relevant authorities to discuss mechanisms aimed at strengthening their security.
7. Finally, the Government of Burundi takes this opportunity to urge the people of Burundi to keep calm and serenity especially in this pre-election period. The Government reiterates its commitment to ensure the safety of citizens and foreigners living throughout the territory of Burundi. To this end, the Government seeks collaboration with everyone inasmuch security is everyone’s business.
Done at Bujumbura, May 24, 2015
Secretary-General and Spokesman
of the Government.-